Thursday, November 15, 2007

Xerostomia

The pt. I saw this morning has been taking medications that cause xerostomia for over a decade and this year he had to have radiation and chemotherapy to the head and neck (due to a malignant lesion that was found behind the right ear). I was very glad and excited to hear that while undergoing therapy the physician provided the pt. with several different OH aids to help the xerostomia. I am glad that other health care providers are doing their part to protect the oral environment!
I also had the unique learning experience of being able to really see and feel root anatomy because of recession and furcation involvement. I really got to see how my instruments adapt to the root surface, and how best to instrument different areas! The palatal root and furcations are especially tricky...I need to watch out for those.

0 comments: