Well today I took my WREB tests for Local Anesthesia. I have to tell you that I think that might have been the hardest test of all of them. The written only has 55 questions so not much room for error and the clinical is so nerve wracking with 2 exminers standing right over head and a needle aimed for the smallest of areas while your hand is shaking like a class 6 earthquake!
You have an hour to take the written exam and I was done in about 15 minutes. I am a fast test taker but I was still amazed how much time I had. I looked it over a few more times and then was the first to hand it in. I was a little worried at first but then a lot of other people finished soon after and that made me feel better. Then we got our results in an envelope on a table. I couldn't find my envelope anywhere and I thought that meant that I had failed. Then one of the girls realized that she had two envelopes. When I finally got to open mine I was relieved that I had passed the written and would be able to take the clinical.
For the clinical portion I felt a little rushed setting up and filling out the paper work and then once my patient was in my chair it seemed like we waited a really long time. I did great on my PSA...I remembered my window up, I had a good penetration, and remembered to make sure my angles were good before saying at sight of deposition. On my IA I completely lost it. I was so shaky I had to stop and take a breath a couple of times...and that didn't really help. I was finally able to land the dang needle and declare at sight of penetration (makind sure the window was up). On my first attempt I hit bone with the long needle only about 1/2 way in (optimum is about 2/3). So I declared osseous contact and tried to redirect without much luck. So, I withdrew and the same exact thing happened two more times. My sight of penetration was perfect so I was a little frustrated. Afterwards, my patient told me that that had happened another girl the day before and she just explained that the patients anatomy will not allow her to advance further and she would like to deposit here...and she passed. So, I was a little dissapointed and really wanted to pass the second time so I wouldn't have to worry about this anymore. I got another patient and hurried through the set up and all the paperwork again. I was still shaky but not nearly as bad as the first time. I was spot-on with everything, no complications and finally....I was done! I was still jittery the whole hour long ride home and then I finally calmed down. The examiners were so nice too, when I was shaking uncontrollably they were so patient and reassuring!
Some things I wish I would have known...I should have been more prepared with a backup patient that I had at least practiced on once and paperwork for him/her, we were way ahead of schedule (I took my first clinical test at 12:30 and I wasn't scheduled until 2:05, which I was glad to get it over with:) but I had planned on going to get a money order only if I failed and because we were so far ahead I took my second test right after my first and didn't have time to go get one. I had to borrow a money order, so...BRING A MONEY ORDER...no matter what!
Friday, March 14, 2008
Local Anesthesia Boards
Posted by Chanci at 4:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
Congrats on passing!! Aren't you so glad we've got 1 down only 2 to go. The examiners were so nice, the clinical was not nearly as bad as I had anticipated.
At least it is all over! Good job! If that was the hardest one, then I think we'll do fine! Congrats!
Post a Comment